Sunday, July 16, 2006

Another Video

Stop pacing!!! For the love of all that is good, stop pacing!!!

This is the only thought that goes through my head I watch myself teach. I think I was actually more nervous teaching my fellow teachers than actual students. It seems apparent, especially since I faced the wrath of the camera on my first day of TEAM.

I also notice myself ending sentences in the middle. My mind will jump from one thought to another in such rapid succession (in case I forget it) that my mouth abandons the earlier thought. It is almost painful to watch.

I am so eager and energetic that it almost sickens me. I so want to impress everyone in the room and I think I went a little overboard. My mind drifted from delivering the lesson I wanted to deliver to getting evaluation points.

In a lot of ways I look worse than the last video. I am clearly uncomfortable with my surroundings, overtly conscious of the time, and not as confident as I should be with the lesson as planned, which is weird because the lesson was pretty good. It would be even better if I worked on tying the whole thing together in a more coherent way and merged in a lesson on similes and metaphors into it (something that will be made possible with a 90-minute block).

I also need to rehearse more. I think a lot of things (set, closure, transitions) would sound more natural if they were practiced. It is something I started doing later in the week and things got way better.

In some ways I am getting better. Despite my presence issues, I felt more prepared than ever. I know what to expect. I am on top of a lot of issues. I actually felt more like a teacher (the tie is so necessary for me to look the part).

It was a pretty harsh reminder that I am very much a work in progress. I am a little scared looking at this going into the fall.

No comments: